Description of Job
The Worship Pastor is responsible for the development of sung worship throughout all aspects of the life of
the parish of Emmanuel. Working closely with the Vicar and other senior leaders, they will be responsible
for discerning a vision for our worship which helps to deliver our church vision of Growing Deeper, Growing
Younger and Growing Wider.
Aims and Objectives
1. To oversee and develop the worship ministry throughout the parish of Emmanuel, in line with the vision
and values of the church, ensuring that appropriate resources are in place and co-ordinated effectively to
enable the vision to be delivered.
2. To develop and implement a vision for the development of our worship in all settings encompassing both
traditional and contemporary styles, but with a particular focus on developing our contemporary worship
to attract younger generations.
3. To motivate, equip and develop our existing team of gifted and committed musicians.
4. To recruit and train new team members.
5. To develop a supportive worship team encompassing both technical and musical teams and ensuring good
pastoral care of the members of that team.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Overseeing and developing worship ministry
a. Develop and implement a vision for worship in line with our church vision of growing deeper,
younger and wider.
b. Oversight of rehearsals as well as the planning and execution of worship at our Sunday Services.
This will include leading and playing on a regular basis.
c. Provision of worship at other gatherings in the life of the church.
d. Playing a key role in planning and delivering musical input at special seasonal services.
2. Developing our Existing Team
a. Motivating our existing team of musicians and singers by providing a compelling, theologically
rooted vision for spirit filled worship.
b. Develop our worship team, equipping them to provide excellence in our musical worship
3. New Team
a. Recruiting new team members, with a special emphasis on working with younger people.
b. Mentoring and developing new worship leaders
c. Organise and implement training opportunities for new team members to help them grow in
4. Worship team
a. Provide pastoral care for all team members
b. Develop a supportive team environment for all involved with worship across the parish
5. Other duties
a. Management of worship budget
b. Ensure good standards of care for team and congregation through implementation of Health &
Safety and Safeguarding policies and principles
c. Such other roles as may be deemed necessary by the Line Manager from time to time to ensure
effective implementation of the church’s mission
• A committed evangelical with a personal and active relationship with Jesus Christ, rooted in a lifestyle
that reflects the best of Christian practice
• A sympathy and alignment with the Church of England and ability to work and worship within a broad
range of evangelical style
• A heart for both Word and Spirit ministry
• Ability and experience of leading worship with either piano/organ and/or guitar
• Proven leadership, management, administration and communication skills
• Motivator and leader, with experience of working with volunteers and leading a team
• The ability to recruit and build a team of volunteers
• Track record of personal integrity and financial probity
• Team player
• Willingness to work flexibly including some evenings and weekends
• Qualification in Worship and/or Theology
• I.T. Skills
• A working knowledge of P.A. and Visual systems
• Experience of managing a budget wisely
• Clean driving licence and car usage
A schedule of ongoing training will be agreed in the light of previous experience and gifting.
• Salary: £11,220 per annum
• Part-time post subject to a probationary period of 6 months and satisfactory Disclosure and Barring
Service (DBS) check
• Hours: Normally 18.5 hours per week across 3 working days, including Sunday. Additional hours may
occasionally be required by mutual agreement with the line manager
• Holiday allowance: 12.5 days a year plus bank holidays
• Office space including use of a computer is provided
• Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.